Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Are We Bad People?

Osama bin Laden is dead, y'all.

Think about that for a second. Soak it in. Let yourself /really/ understand it.

When I first heard the news (caught the live feed of the announcement, even), I started to feel happy. In fact, I was almost in a celebratory mood.

Then I started to realize what I was doing. I was celebrating the death of another human being. Then came the guilt.

I started to wonder what's wrong with me. I started to wonder what's wrong with all of us. How can we be happy about the death of a fellow human being?

This lasted a day or so. But now I've given it my due consideration, and you know what? Yes. I'm happy. Fuck Osama bin Laden. This is a man who directly set out to kill as many Americans as he possibly could. Not because we'd done anything to him, but because we're different. For the same reason that a lot of Americans want to nuke the Middle East or get us involved in some kind of holy war. Osama is a wanna-be Hitler.

And it wasn't enough to kill as many Americans as he could, but he sent videos bragging about his actions. No only that, but he promised to do more in the future. He hated our guts, y'all, and you know what? He and all his followers would be celebrating if he succeeded in another attack on us.

So will I celebrate Osama's death?

Probably not.

Will I feel pleased about the death and the timing?

Yes. Yes, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment